Searching for a Cloud Computing Provider? Make sure you know what to look for!
While it’s important that you do your homework and shop around as you would for any product, picking a provider for Cloud Computing is an especially big decision; so SheBytes wants to give you the tips and secrets on what to pay attention to.
For those of you still unfamiliar with Cloud in general, read up by starting with the post titled “What is Cloud Computing?”. The post begins a series of Cloud-dedicated bytes on the apples and oranges of Cloud Computing. Here’s the quick gist of the groundbreaking technology: “Cloud Computing describes the accessing of data and applications using the Internet.”
Although it sounds simple, it allows your business to do incredible things, like dramatically cut down IT costs, have your technology managed for you and permits you to focus on your core business.
Now in terms of selecting a Cloud Computing Provider, here are a number of things which I see as vital parts of the Cloud Computing Provider’s repertoire:
- As the old adage goes, “the customer is always right”. Along these lines, it’s crucial that the Cloud Provider offers its clients around the clock, personal support. No matter what somebody will tell you, there’s absolutely no substitute for face-to-face support. You want a real, live person working on any tech issues which may arise (and trust me, something always does).
- In the modern age, security is key (sorry for the lame pun). When you ask potential Cloud Providers about their security measures; get assurance that they feel comfortable securing your data. The ideal security combination is a balance between practicality and layers of protection (like the additional level of authentication we provide our clients with at Madison Technology).
- Make sure your provider is local, somewhere within driving distance of your own business. That way the provider will recognize the importance of accountability; as it’s their job to make sure you’re always up and running. Remember: most issues can troubleshoot remotely; but not all!
- Look for a Cloud Provider that isn’t a one trick pony. It’s a million times easier to have one company manage ALL of your businesses IT needs; everything from VoIP to Cloud Desktops, than to piece-meal it. Once everything’s under one roof, you’ll sleep easy at night knowing who’s responsible for your technology. It also saves you money: when one hand knows what the other is doing, you operate in the most efficient and cost effective IT environment.
- Don’t go with a company who will quote you prices or send you a proposal without a meeting! Although this may not seem like a big deal, until you can meet with a client and discuss their specific business, it’s impossible to accurately quote them anything. Cloud Computing is a unique and customizable service with a personal package that’s different for each and every client.
- Although costs are certainly a big issue when it comes to any business decision, don’t make price the main point. Sometimes flexibility and customization is more valuable. Go ahead with the Cloud Computing Provider, who you feel the most comfortable with.